Sunday, April 17, 2016

PICTURE BELOW MAY APPEAR SMALLER THAN IT ACTUALLY IS


I'm not a very traditional gal so it will not surprise you to hear that I do NOT endorse the giving of pre-marriage engagement rings. Besides the negative environmental impacts of the diamond mining industry, I abhor the judgement that comes along with them as women compare size and men go into debt for the cost of the future brides "rock."

But my normal dislike of this practice has been ratcheted to an all time high with the spectacle of Mariah Carey's ridiculous engagement ring from her billionaire husband to be. Price estimates go as high as 10 million dollars. Again, TEN MILLION DOLLARS. Yes, your fiance can afford that ring but why would you possibly want it? How can you seriously wear that (or more often, keep it locked away in your safe) when that much money could literally change the lives of thousands of people? 


Oh, Mariah. Poor, poor Mariah. When I look at that ginormous diamond on your finger, I do not think you are rich in love. I think you are poor in self-esteem. This ring is not a symbol of love and commitment. It is statement of gross consumption and self-absorption. You are not the role model for little girls' romantic dreams.

Romance is your billionaire boyfriend putting a quarter in the machine outside the grocery store and giving you the ring that came out in a little plastic bubble because he was overcome by emotion and knew he just had to propose to you that VERY SECOND. And more romantic is you looking at that ring with love just because it was presented to you by the man you adore and wearing it even though it turned your finger green.

But what do I know? I don't believe in this shit.

-- Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment